Parish Religious Education Program (PREP)
St. Helena’s Religious Education Program (PREP) provides religious education for parish children who do not attend St. Helena School. The program runs from September to May every Tuesday evening from 6:30 PM to 8:00 PM. This program offers everyone the opportunity for faith and spiritual enrichment. As catechists, parents, and students at PREP, we celebrate, learn and share one faith in God. Retreats, special projects, and socials add an exciting and practical experience for our students. Through PREP, children in the second grade receive the Sacraments of Reconciliation (Penance) and Holy Communion. The sixth grade children receive the Sacrament of Confirmation. Working together, under the guidance of the Holy Spirit, we witness to the Gospel and its command to “Go into the whole world and proclaim the Gospel.” (Mark 16:15)
Goals of Religious Education:
- To support, complement and reinforce the family as the primary community in which faith is developed.
- To promote catechesis and faith enrichment through parent sacrament preparation classes.
- To provide opportunities for on-going faith development for children and youth.
- To provide a well-balanced curriculum that involves both content and experience.
- To offer experience of prayer, in many different forms, in and outside the classroom setting.
- To offer retreats and other experiences of intensive prayer and fellowship in a group setting.
- To offer outreach to the community in the form of class service projects.
- To assist in creating parish liturgies that inspire, teach and lead children and youth to meaningful worship.
- To improve the competence of the catechetical faculty and staff.
- To provide opportunities for faculty and staff for catechetical education and enrichment.
- To meet the resource needs of our faculty and staff.
- Service To Our Youth
We provide young people the encouragement and opportunity to follow the teachings of the Catholic Church through community and social actions. This will include participating in events, which encapsulate the Catholic faith such as helping the poor, feeding the hungry, and other social justice programs. It may also include spreading good example by being involved in religious education of younger students, and helping our pastor, Father Nicolo, with special events. Our junior youth (seventh and eighth grade) are offered an opportunity to gather for education, social activities, and service projects.
Activities throughout the academic year are:
- September – vitamin drive
- October – PREP costume family bingo
- November – family food drive
- December – Christmas Tableau
- January – peanut butter and jelly drive
- February – Confirmation retreat
- March – Lent awareness
- April – pizza party for students
- May – Closing Ceremony and May Crowning; Eighth Grade Awards, Perfect Attendance Awards for grades one through eight; First Grade Well Done awards.
For information on St. Helena PREP, call Madeleine Fitzgerald at 610-279-3870